Ask The Swag Gal (August 5, 2009)
After my last post about the bucket list ideas, I received so many AMAZING ideas that my list has almost doubled! I could say that the reason you didn’t hear from me last Friday was because I was busy tackling ideas off the list, but that wouldn’t really be true. In any event, thanks so much for all of your responses and if you haven’t had a chance to read my post or the comments it generated, do it now!
Today’s question today comes from Kathryn T., from Seattle, Washington. She asked:
The [weather] forecast for the week will be hitting 101!! Can you advise some of the best way to stay cool in this weather please?
Being that I am from the northwest, I definitely understand where you’re coming from! When we have our cold weather, we pray for heat! When we finally get heat, we’re lost! So what’s a northerner to do?! One of the obvious supposed remedies to staying cool is drinking cold water (this actually doesn’t cool you off-but it is refreshing!). Here are some simple ways to stay cool:
1. When you leave the house keep your curtains drawn to stop the heat from entering.
2. Take advantage of your basement (if you have one). Retreat to that cool haven at the hottest hours of the day. This area of your house is usually 10-15 degrees cooler than the rest!
3. Drink chrysanthemum tea. Random remedy, but worth a try because this is believed to be a cooling herb!
4. Buy a “Chillow“. It’s a thin, thermo-regulating device that fits inside your pillow to cool it down. It’s said to help you get to sleep 68% faster too!
5. Chew ice and use cold pack/cold towels on the back of your neck and wrist.
6. Ditch your duvet/comforter and sleep in just your sheets. Better yet, put your sheets in a bag and pop in the freezer for a bit! Talk about a major cool down!
Or you could just sit back, close your eyes and imagine you’re in the snow. Research actually does show that the body reacts to these types of daydreams…whilst reducing you body temperature. Go figure! 🙂
I’m sure there are a couple you all have and haven’t heard of. Give them a try and let me know how it goes! I know I’ll be putting my sheets in the freezer momentarily….
Talk to you soon! 🙂