It’s Easy Being Green
I know that a lot of us contribute to the effort of going green. However, many of us want to discover new and different ways to help and pitch in. I found this article on savewithces.com that highlights 365 Ways to Save Energy. Some of these are super neat, explaining ways that I’ve never thought of or never thought could help our environment. Although I am not going to feature all 365 of these in this post, I am going to list a few that stood out to me.
- Plant a tree. One well-placed shade tree can reduce your cooling costs by 25 percent.
- Reflective window film can help reduce heat gain during the summer, and it will keep furniture and carpets from fading.
- Vacuum the refrigerator coils about twice a year to keep the compressor running efficiently.
- Check the seal on your refrigerator door by closing it on a dollar bill. If you can pull the bill out easily, it’s time to replace the gaskets.
- Use your oven’s self-cleaning feature immediately after cooking, while the oven is still hot.
- Run the dishwasher only with full loads, and use the air-dry cycle.
- Look for the “Energy Star” logo when you make a purchase.
- Heating food in the microwave uses only 20 percent of the energy required by a full-sized oven.
- Use reusable containers for food storage instead of wrapping food in foil or plastic wrap.
- Dispose of leftover food, yard trimmings, and weeds by starting a compost pit in your backyard. When contents decompose into soil use the soil for plants and gardening.
- Send e-greetings instead of paper cards.
- Collect rainwater to water your flowers.
- Pay your bills online. Instead of using paper to pay your bills pay them over the internet instead.
- Clear out your car; extra weight decreases gas mileage.
- Don’t wash loads of laundry until you have a full load to put together.
- Dry one load of clothes immediately after another to take advantage of the heat built up in the machine.
- Decorate with pale colors on walls, ceilings and floors. You will use less light.
To see all of the ways to save, click here.
Remember, most of our Eco-friendly prizes in the Swag Store qualify as a Swago game piece in celebration of Earth Day.
What’s your best energy saving tip?