Ask the Swag Gal – August 31, 2011
Today’s question comes from a Swaggernaut looking for healthy meals on-the-go:
“I am the typical dance/soccer mom and we are on the go every monday through thursday right at dinner time. Any suggestions for “healthy dinners on the go”? My kids are 11 and 9.”
Finding meals that are fast AND healthy is not always an easy feat – especially for the whole family. Sure, it’s easy and super quick to run over to the McDonald’s drive-thru, but it’s certainly not ideal due to the lack of nutrition. I’ve put together a list for you of quick meals that will stay within the healthy boundaries.
- Spread Peanut Butter on a whole wheat tortilla, place a banana in the middle, and roll it up.
- Take a container of yogurt and throw some berries on top.
- Make a sandwich on whole grain bread – lean deli meat, low-fat cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mustard.
- A salad is perfect on-the-go, and is full of nutrition. You can even add some chicken to get your protein serving.
- Pack a bag of carrots and bring a container of hummus. Bring along some hard-boiled eggs for protein.
- A bagel with cream cheese and fresh fruit slices are usually favorable among the kids.
- Potato salad, chicken salad, and egg salad are all great for on-the-go, because they don’t need to stay warm.