Ask the Swag Gal – October 26, 2011
Today’s question comes from a Mommy looking for a fun way to announce her latest pregnancy:
“My husband and I just found out we’re expecting baby #3. It will be the last for us and the last grandchild on both sides of our family. Do you know of any creative ways to share the news with family and friends? “
Let me start out by saying CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting that you will soon have a new, bundled addition to your family! I love that you want to surprise your family with the wonderful news – I bet it will be a lot of fun to watch all of the reactions! There are a lot of ways to break the news – use this as an opportunity to get creative. I’ve come up with a list of suggestions – feel free to use the one that best suits your family and your situation. Have fun with it!
- With the holidays coming up, it’s easy to turn this surprise into an amazing Christmas gift. Have the family unwrap a present. In the box, put a little note that says something to the effect of “This gift is on back order. It is expected to arrive on [this is where you would put your due date]. Thank you for your patience – it will be worth the wait!”
- Get your youngest child a T-shirt that says “Big Brother” or “Big Sister” and have them wear it around your family. If they don’t get the hint right away, give them a nudge in the right direction. “Have you seen ‘Johnny’s’ T-shirt today?”
- Get a puzzle made that says “I’m Pregnant,” and have your family put it together. They may figure out the news before finishing the puzzle, but it’s definitely a fun way to announce the news.
- Have your family over for dinner and cook. Make everything that has to do with “baby:” baby back ribs, baby corn, baby carrots, and Sugar Babies for dessert. If nobody says anything by the end of the meal, ask them if they sense a theme.
- Plan a movie night! Gather on the couch together and watch baby-themed movies: Nine Months, Knocked Up, Juno, Father of the Bride II, etc. They should get it by the second movie.
- Send out an e-mail to the family with the subject line “Updating Our List of Family Birthdays.” Include everyone’s birthday, and the bottom put “Baby ____”, along with your expected due date.
- Invite the family over for game night! In the middle of your Scrabble game, use the tiles to spell out I’m Pregnant – you might have to cheat a bit to get all of the right letters!
- If your family is active on Facebook or another social networking site, change your profile picture to the picture of the first sonogram. Don’t say anything, and just wait for your friends and family to see it and find out for themselves!
I hope one of these suggestions has peaked your interest. Do any of you Swaggernauts have any creative ways of breaking the news that you’d like to share? Leave it in the comments section below! And to our expecting user – again, congratulations! I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy and hope that you enjoy your happy and healthy new bundle!
P.S. – Send your questions to TheSwagGal@Swagbucks.com. If your question is picked your answer will be featured in the blog and you’ll be hooked up with 150 Swag Bucks!