Looking for a new, different, and delicious holiday dessert this year? Thanks to AllRecipes.com, I found this great, easy recipe for Shortbread Christmas Cookies. Leave these out for Santa and he’ll never want to leave!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ready In: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1 drop food coloring, or to desired shade (optional)
- 1 tablespoon colored edible glitter, or as desired
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl; with a pastry cutter, chop in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir the rum extract and almond extract into the water in a small bowl. Mix into the dry ingredients, a little bit at a time, until the mixture holds together in a ball when you squeeze it.
- Place the dough onto a floured work surface, and sprinkle with flour; roll out into a sheet 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with floured cookie cutters, and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Cover with a layer of plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Bake the cookies just until the edges are lightly browned, 15 to 18 minutes. Allow to cool on sheets for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to finish cooling. Cool completely before decorating.
- For frosting, whisk the confectioners’ sugar and milk in a bowl until smooth. If desired, divide frosting into small bowls, and tint each bowl a desired shade with food coloring. Frost fully cooled cookies, and sprinkle with edible glitter before the frosting sets.
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!