4th Of July Eats
The 4th of July is just a few short weeks away. Chances are, most of you will be heading to or hosting a 4th of July party. When you think of 4th of July parties, you usually can’t help but think about a barbecue. Typically we celebrate our independence with traditional American food – hamburgers and hot dogs. But what if you’re sick of the cliche barbecue food and are looking to spice things up this year? Well, I’ve found the perfect recipe to help you do just that. This dish is sure to refresh all of the party guests’ pallets. I found this recipe on tasteofhome.com. Follow these easy instructions and you’ll soon be ready to serve your Red, White and Blue Pita Pockets!
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound of beef top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of fat free sour cream
- 1/3 cup of crumbled blue cheese
- 4 whole wheat pita pocket halves
- 2 cups of torn red leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup of roasted sweet red peppers, drained and cut into strips
- 1/4 cup of sliced red onion
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the vinegar, oil and garlic; add the beef. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and blue cheese; set aside. Drain and discard marinade.
- In a large nonstick skillet or wok coated with cooking spray, stir-fry beef for 2-3 minutes or until no longer pink. Line pita halves with lettuce, red peppers and onion; fill each with 1/3 cup beef. Serve with sour cream mixture.
Your prep time is just 15 minutes and the cook time is just 5 minutes – simple, yet delicious!